Most doctors and clinics in different practices such as orthopedics, surgery and other fields of specialties are setting up physician dispensing or in-office pharmaceutical services so they can dispense patient’s medication at the time of their visit. Other practices are taking notice of this trend and considering physician dispensing solutions to increase their revenues at the same time improving the overall patient experience.
Before you start setting up your in-office dispensing solutions, there are things you need to consider to ensure a successful in house pharmacy program:
Reasons why you should consider physician dispensing
- In-office pharmaceutical services are more convenient to patients, especially for the elderly and disabled because they no longer need to worry about making another trip to the pharmacy.
- Patients have complete access to a wide variety of medications and other medical supplies they need.
- Reports show that the physician or clinic’s revenue increases from 10-15% for efficient in-office dispensing services.
Important points to consider before setting up physician dispensing
- Setting up physician dispensing solutions requires your utmost attention to detail before the implementation. The main component to consider is choosing a capable medication dispensing software, such as the First Coast software, for easier processing and compliance.
- Running your own in-office dispensing can increase your revenue, but that depends on the dispensary you choose to work with. It is essential to gather your data before choosing your dispensary company.
- Writing prescriptions has hidden cost – think about the process when you write prescriptions. All the required phone calls, e-mails, callbacks and faxing prescriptions waste precious time. Physician dispensing eliminates all the hassles because your patients receive their medications during their visit.
- Studies show that in-office dispensing improves patient compliance with their medications. It helps reduce unfilled prescriptions and decreases healthcare costs for long-term conditions.
- Determine if in-office dispensing is permitted in your state, you may ask your dispensing company to know whether or not physician dispensing is available in your area.
How to get started with physician dispensing
- Determine if your practice needs an in house-pharmacy. If you have a high retention rate of customers you may greatly benefit from physician dispensing. Most practices involve their staff to make patients aware of this kind of service.
- Make sure you have the right people for setting up in-office dispensing. You need to hire a pharmacist or a technician to ensure a smooth process.
- Once you have determined the above two points, the next step is to consult an attorney that specializes in medical and pharmaceutical management laws and regulations.
- Know which supply of medications you need, this is mostly based on the most frequent prescriptions you have.
- Be knowledgeable with contractual agreements with your partners to make sure your practice is aligned with their requirements for the reimbursement process.
If you are looking to work with a physician dispensing company, First Coast Health Solutions can help you with your dispensing medication needs. First Coast Health Solutions is committed to providing the highest quality service for your in-office dispensing success.